Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Not Quite National BBQ Tour - Part 3: Ted's Montana Grill ?



















**Re-Posted from 2009**

Tonight I did a few laps around the Galleria Mall here in Hoover (Birmingham) while looking for a new place to review. There are still a couple more BBQ joints on my list – but diversity is a good thing. I was about to settle for a Barbacoa Burrito from Chipotle Grill, when I saw a Buffalo.

... Ted’s Montana Grill.....


THE PLACE

Thanks to the corporate website, I’ve learned that the aforementioned ‘Ted’ is the Ted Turner of CNN, TNT, and so many badly colorized versions of classic movies that they needed another cable channel for them. Based on the pervasive branding in the restaurant (and it’s proximity to an Olive Garden and a Ruby Tuesdays), I knew this was a chain – but it was new to me …. And did I mention they serve buffalo?

On the menu, they call it Bison … and after more research (thanks wikipedia) I’ve learned that the American Buffalo was, like the American Indian, badly named. The Bison is only marginally related to the actual buffalo in Asia and Africa … so when Mr. Environmentally Sensitive Turner was getting a chain of eateries, they made sure to get the name right.



THE FOOD

* Bison Meatloaf: I didn’t think I’d be showing the majestic Bison his due respect by eating a bison-burger, so I got the meatloaf. Very tasty and (as the menu points out) “always served with a side of good conscience and two vegetables”.

* Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Like everything else on the plate, the serving of potatoes was portioned to be enough but not too much. They were just lumpy enough to have good texture and yummy with the Bison gravy.

* Aunt Fannie’ Squash Casserole: Somewhere between baked squash and stuffing, this was a neat change and proved once again that the best vegetables are rarely green.

* Big Chunk Chocolate Chip Cookie: This came with my meal – so I didn’t have to agonize over the key-lime pie. What does key-lime have to do with Montana? Oh, that’s right; Mr. Good Conscience is from Atlanta.


THE WRAP-UP

Ted’s was a nice diversion and gave a good enough showing that I might stop at one of the two Indianapolis locations (or 49 others elsewhere). The menu is diverse enough that I feel comfortable giving it 2/10 Expense Reports as long as I can still fill them out in black and white and not have to worry about someone redoing them for a new generation.

No comments: