Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Not Quite National BBQ Tour - Part 1: Jim 'N Nick's



** Re-Posted From June 2009 **

With nearly 2 months of corporate allowance to spend while I'm down south, I thought this might be a good opportunity to share some insights into the Birmingham dining scene and prove once and for all ... that I should never be allowed to write anything even resembling a serious restaurant review.

I have had a few food recommendations already (along with a few bits of culture/history to see); so I can't promise daily updates, but who knows you might just find my misadventures educational - if not a chance to laugh at how lost you can get in a strange city using only a bad map from the car rental agency and directions that include phrases like "down by the river".

... Jim 'N Nick's.....

Well, this one had potential: big stacks of firewood out back, a flying pig on the sign, and a drive-by smell so good that I made tonight's dinner plans yesterday before I even made it into the hotel parking lot (Jim 'N Nick's is right next door).

I'll save you the suspense, and just go ahead and give this one 1/10 "Expense Reports". For those of you that aren't familiar with this rating system, I'll clarify. When on a 2 week (10 day) business trip to the Birmingham area, I'd plan on at least 1 trip to Jim N' Nick's. With that in mind, 1/10 isn't all that bad ... just nothing so spectacular that I'd want to go back within 2 weeks.

- THE PLACE -
This is a pretty relaxed casual dining place for the fam' ... staff was very attentive and friendly. If weather permits, sit outside on the patio. From listening to the tables around me (and reading the menu), I learned that they do a lot of drive through and walk-up carry-out business ... always a good sign. Most of the meats take 14 hours to prepare - so if you go late, they might be out of your favorites.


- THE FOOD -
I had the 2 sliced meats platter with sides and dessert.
* BBQ Sausage: Tasty, yet a little too spicy to get excited about
* Beef Brisket: Very Good (without the sauce)
* Slaw: Better than the tub-o-slaw you get at most grocery stores
* Onion Rings: Very Good ... but could have been great with better BBQ sauce
* Coconut Cream Pie: Awesome - worth walking across the parking lot for all by itself (hey, that's a good idea).


- THE WRAP -
Overall, it was that sauce that kept Jim N' Nick's from being amazing. I actually asked if there was anything sweeter to go with my onion rings, and was offered ketchup. With that in mind, I'm glad that I passed on the Habanaro sauce. I don't mind spicy food - but BBQ should have molasses as a main ingredient. With the pie being so good, I may have to pick up some "Sweet Baby Rays" or "KC Masterpiece" at the store and order some carry out.

No comments: