Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Not Quite National BBQ Tour - Part 4: Billy Sims BBQ











Having lived in Indiana for several years, I was beginning to think that Kansas City was the furthest north a Brisket-Head like me could find decent BBQ.  That has happily been proven false ... and so I've resurrected the N.Q.N.B. Tour.  If you are date checking, you'll notice that the Michigan posts are a bit out of order since I decided to number them in order of my first visit - rather than when I got around to posting about them.


RATING DEFINITIONS # STAR / 10

0-1  =   Its BBQ … I’ll try just about any place once,  even Dickey’s
2-3  =   Honorable Mention … well executed even if not to my liking
4-5  =   Good BBQ … flavorful, distinct, and presented well with good sides
6-7  =   Good Kansas City BBQ … see above + KC Magic
8-10  = The Undiscovered Country  

Billy Sims Barbecue, Southfield MI

While working in Southfield as a consultant early last year, several of the participants in my training class recommended Billy Sims as the place to go for BBQ.  Having been sorely disappointed by my search of Indiana (hereafter to be referred to as BBQ-Mordor), I was skeptical but willing to try it.  Not being a Lion's fan .. or admittedly that much of a football history buff, the name didn't mean anything to me  - but the fact that  he was a "Sooner" meant Oklahoma ... and that meant there was hope.  Now that I've researched a bit, I know that there are Billy Sims all over, even one in my home town of Springfield MO.  My first visit however was free of the dreaded franchise label and I'll only be commenting on this specific location.


THE PLACE

Not your linen napkin BBQ, in fact I was disappointed at first with what seemed to be a converted generic fast food building (I'm betting it was a captain D's).  They have tables and booths, TV overhead, a clean bathroom and a small area of Billy Sims shirts / merchandise.

... But you don't pick a good BBQ place because they sell T-shirts or have fancy fireplaces to sit next to, it's all about ...

THE FOOD

It had been so long since my first visit that Tonya, Chandler and I stopped on Sunday on our way back from Jackson.  We shared a 4-Meat (Double serving of brisket, Polish Sausage, and Pulled Pork) with a couple extras and spent a little over $25.  Sauces were simple but good (1 hot, 1 sweet) and great mixed together.

* Brisket - very good.  Just fatty enough to be flavorful and much to my amazement, T (normally a pulled-pork-only gal) said that it was good enough that she'd order it in the future.

* Pulled Pork - again very good.  Not quite shredded.  Truly worthy of a sandwich only visit.  As mentioned above, this is what Tonya considers BBQ and she was happy.

* Polish Sausage - nothing fancy but smoked incredibly well, dare I say perfect.  Chan and I ate most of it to begin with, but nobody seemed to have enough, so we ordered a bit more by weight (see my note below on the carry out options) and everybody had a few additional smiles.

* Baked Beans: good.  I definitely noticed some of the Brisket in there and by far the best side I've tried on any of my visits to Billy Sims.

* Potato Salad:  ennnhh.  I didn't ask if it was their own - but I would not be surprised if it came in a big tub.

* (BONUS SIDE) Texas Toast:  yummy.  You can add a piece for about 50 cents and make your own sandwich from the meat on your dinner plate.


THE WRAP-UP

The big win for me was the carryout portion of the menu.  All the meats and sides are available to order by weight and reasonably priced.  All the business we saw on Sunday was carry out and it seems to be what they expect when a customer walks up.  Bad Brad's is still the family go-to for a total BBQ experience near the house, but if I'm in Southfield for work (or near the 3 other locations in the area) I'll be bringing it home.

Billy Sims gets a 5 Star rating.  Not bad for Michigan.  T and Chan said that it was still worthy of introducing other folks to ... and I have to admit that had I tried it first in one of the many Oklahoma locations, it might have even earned a Kansas City Level 6.

Speaking of Kansas City ... I've not written reviews for any of my personal favorites (or un-favs) since most of my original readers are from there.  Still, I may have to go for a visit to make sure I'm remembering correctly.  It's about time to see our Overland Park peeps right T?

No comments: