Monday, May 19, 2014

Not Quite National BBQ Tour - Part 6: My Place

This restaurant review below is a re-post from facebook.  Thought I'd put some stuff like this here so the ol' dashboard doesn't get too lonely.  Besides, T & Dust can't still be the only ones still blogging.

** side note: I heard a comedian joke last night that Mark Zuckerberg just turned 30 - making him the youngest person still on facebook.  With that in mind, what does that make us bloggers? **

.......................................................
As requested, I’m fulfilling my Bema Seat BBQ requirements by posting a review.  This is the 3rd BBQ  joint I’ve visited since our move to Michigan – so technically, I’m behind by two write ups.  To make this one fit with my past reviews (like the ‘BBQ Over Birmingham Blog’ tour), I’ll be using my 10 STAR rating system: 

RATING DEFINITIONS # STAR / 10

0-1  =   Its BBQ … I’ll try just about any place once,  even Dickey’s
2-3  =   Honorable Mention … well executed even if not to my liking
4-5  =   Good BBQ … flavorful, distinct, and presented well with good sides
6-7  =   Good Kansas City BBQ … see above + KC Magic
8-10  = The Undiscovered Country  

My Place..... Lenox MI

My preliminary web search of “My Place” had some promise.  Nearly every review I could find mentioned the wonderful donuts they sold in the mornings.  The prospect of having an after-dinner cruller was definitely a plus – still this is a BBQ review, so I was determined to stay focused and not give any extra points for breakfast pastries.  More on that in the wrap-up.


THE PLACE

Think converted small town Dairy Barn / Tastee Freeze.  Wood and working smoker prominently displayed in the parking lot – a few outside tables and just enough inside for the quick BBQ pit stop.  This is not a linen napkin BBQ – and that was a plus in my book.  Service was nice and I noted a good effort to make sure everyone in our party of 6 had what they wanted ready by the time we all arrived.  ‘My Place’ is new enough that it doesn’t have the history some BBQ restaurants try to cash in on over quality.  Based on the food though, I’m thinking they might need to make some up.


THE FOOD

*Sliced Brisket – decent but bland.  Only the Apple BBQ Sauce (1 of 5 choices) seemed to give it any flavor.  Brisket should stand on its own with sauce just adding to the party.

*Cajun Sausage – this was great.  That waitress indicated that they make it onsite, doing the casings and all.  Of the whole meal this was the best part and based on the lack of good BBQ sausage so far in Michigan, would be the only reason to go back.

* Steak Fries: ok but forgettable … this really underscores the poor sauce options.  All were very tomato heavy and made my habit of testing all the flavors with my fries disappointing.

* Baked Beans: these were good, probably because they featured the sausage.


THE WRAP-UP

You’ll notice from the food description that the promise of donuts went unfulfilled.  Talk at the table confirmed the bad news … donuts were no longer on the menu.  My guess is that the Tim Horton’s next door had something to do with that. Hopefully they’ll be able to deliver better now that they are specialized.  ‘My Place’ gets a disappointing 2 Stars.  I’d recommend some variations in sauce selections and more down-home nostalgia around what they are getting right (like telling the story of that great sausage) to keep folks coming back.

2 comments:

shakedust said...

I need to adjust my Facebook settings because I should have seen this in my feed rather than drama from people I care less about.

The sausage sounds good, but my experience with anything "Cajun" is mixed. It's sometimes hard to keep down.

Dash said...

dust ... this was a post to a fb group called "Bema Seat BBQ" made up of some guys from my church here in MI.

That's one of the reasons I posted this here and resurrected the old bbq posts from 2009.

Enjoy living in the one true home of BBQ and have a Z-man for me!