Sunday, February 03, 2008

Watergate

If you are like me, you've probably noticed that when something is on your mind you tend to see it everywhere. For me, today it's Watergate.

1. I've been reading a history of the Nixon Administration. I'm not very far in (still dealing with the Pentagon Papers and project SANDWEDGE), but still - I'm drawn in and wondering what I'd be willing to do to help my boss's boss get re-elected. Reading an account of Chuck Colson's hatchet-work during this time has also got me thinking about my 2nd-grand-cousin-etc. Ted Sorenson's role in covering up Chappaqidick.

2. I brought Watergate salad to the Men's Super-Bowl party this evening. Since my brownies had bombed at the last pot-luck, I brought in the big guns and asked my mother-in-law for her recipe ... also called - ironically enough - dum dum salad.

In case you are wondering, mix the following and chill before serving:
8 oz Cool Whip
1 pkg Pistachio Pudding Mix
10 oz can of crushed Pinapple
1.5 cups mini-marshmallows
.25 cup pecan bits

3. In about 6 hours, I'll be starting my new job after a major relocation and a way-too-long job search in an officially depressed local economy. I'm starting to transition from being worried that I'm not providing enough for my family .. to being worried that I won't provide enough in this newly created role to justify my employment.

So Watergate is everywhere. What will I bring to the table and what will I be willing to do for a cause. Nixon's team started breaking the law a long time before the break-in. I'm not worried about breaking the law ... I just don't want to be a dum dum.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

I really don't know much about Watergate. The one thing I do remember is that, in a breakin, always watch for something taped to the door frame. Amazing how it was something as simple as a piece of tape that alerted the building security person to the breakin.

"I'm starting to transition from being worried that I'm not providing enough for my family .. to being worried that I won't provide enough this newly created role to justify my employment."

Been there, but you're probably in a tighter situation than I was. There is always a learning curve, but I am quite sure you'll do well as you pick things up. Training (and I would assume managing trainers) is one of your strengths. I saw that when you taught Love's Command.

Achtung BB said...

I thought it was Forest Gump that alerted everyone about the break in. I agree with Dust that you are a natural teacher. I think everybody worries about if they are contributing enough to justify their employment. I'm kind of there myself.

GoldenSunrise said...

I doubt you would do something illegal in order to keep your job. God and Big Brother is always watching. : ) Hope your first day is going well.

Portland wawa said...

My hubby loves that salad at the holidays. I believe we had it at Christmas. Congrats on your new job. I am sure you will do fine.