Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Face It

As some of you know, I'm slowly venturing into the world of social networking sites.

It started unintentionally - Googling a former co-worker to get ideas on a potential training vendor ..... and then 25 minutes later, I had 4 people in my LinkedIn.com profile. An hour later, I'd done a professional reference for one of them and found that another was expecting their 3rd child this fall. After a few more folks suggested Facebook.com, I set up a profile there today.

In one odd confused series of links, Dust ended up as a "secondary" contact via someone else that I haven't spoken to in person for 2 years (that is, if he chooses to accept me). I'm not sure if you can tell how "connected" you are to someone when visiting their profile ... but the thought occurred to me that this might be seen as a slight against someone like being a triple-digit speed dial on a cell phone.

BlackBoard had a link saying that she was a fan of Sarah Groves ... and after clicking my own agreement to this, I realized that looking at the demographics - I might be seen as creepy old guy in a the list of teenage high school girls.

Since I did all this at work (while on conference calls), I didn't have a pic to load. This will turn into a great deal of agonizing over just the right image to use ... and that's when it hit me: All the anonymity of the web is slipping away. I have to be myself again as I connect with people that - If I'm honest - thought I was a dork when they met me. Guess I'll just have to face it.

5 comments:

shakedust said...

Yeah, I resisted LinkedIn and Facebook for a while. I joined LinkedIn about two months ago. I'll probably join Facebook later this week.

It is always very nice to have another LinkedIn connection. Especially one who actually knows me on a personal level. :)

roamingwriter said...

I think I'm about to post about the same subject. I somehow got hooked up with an 80s Evangel group. The hilarious thing is it's sort of a friend I knew from the newspaper who started it. Problem is I know none of these other people. I feel like the geeky lurker. A really popular (back then) guy asked me to be his friend onf facebook - I wasn't his friend then why now???

Achtung BB said...

I've been considering doing Facebook too, but then I thought that is just one my site I need to follow up on.

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah face book seems a lot easier to maintain than writing a blog.

I got invited to view a friends face book, but when I clicked on the link, I had to sign up. (Same thing happened with Linked-In. Although, I haven't done anything with my Linked-In account.) So I joined face book and then bam!!! all these friends and semi-friends pop up all over the place. It is a way to stalk people.

Dust is going to jump off the bridge as he usually does.

GoldenSunrise said...

Those social networks are crazy. Nobody is actually "friends" with everyone in their list.

Like I said on Roamer's post, Maybe Dust can do a GoldenDust facebook page.