Friday, September 14, 2007

Country Continuation

As you've seen on T's blog, I've been doing a bit of cow-punching and fence-checking lately at the farm and on the ranch. This - along with the hundreds of miles of corn and soy beans that I've been driving past have got me in the mood for country music. Since I know that most of my readers never get to experience this true American art form, I thought I'd share some of the more memorable bits.

Because country music has a rather broad range of perspectives on life all set to the same types of tunes and rhythms, you get some interesting combinations between commercial breaks. Each of the following pairs of songs were played back to back on the same radio station over the last week. Just in case the titles aren't enough, I've included the last bit of lyrics from the first song and the first portion of the next .... and just like the radio DJ, I'll play 'em back to back.

-----

[Jesus Take the Wheel]

It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder and that car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the back seat sleepin' like a rock
For the first time in a long time she bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way I've been livin' my life
I know I've got to change So from now on tonight
Jesus take the wheel Take it from my hands'
Cause I can't do this on my own I'm letting go
So give me one more chance Save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel
Every time you take a sip In this smoky atmosphere
You press that bottle to your lips and I wish I was your beer
In the small there of your back your jeans are playing peekaboo
I'd like to see the other half of your butterfly tattoo.
Hey that gives me an idea Let's get out of this bar
Drive out into the country and find a place to park.
'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers and
I'd like to check you for ticks.


[Ticks]










--









[Independence Day]
Well she lit up the sky that fourth of July
but by the time the firemen come they
Just put out the flames and took down some names
and send me to the county home
Now I ain’t sayin’ it’s right or it’s wrong
but maybe it’s the only way
talk about your revolution
It’s Independence Day

Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing
let the whole world know that
Today is a day of reckoning
let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong
Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay
It’s independence day

Plowing these fields in the hot summer sun
over by the gate lordy here she comes
With a basket full of chicken and a big cold jug of sweet tea
I make a little room and she climbs on up
Open up a throttle and stir a little dust
Just look at her face - she ain't a foolin me
She thinks my tractor's sexy It really turns her on
She's always staring at me While I'm chuggin along
She likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
She's even kind of crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
She's the only one who really understands what gets me

She thinks my tractor's sexy



[She Thinks My Tractors Sexy]






--
[Before He Cheats]
Right now, she's probably up singing some
white-trash version of Shania karaoke..
Right now, she's probably saying "I'm drunk"
and he's thinking that he's gonna lucky,
Right now, he's probably dabbing on 3 dollars worth
of that bathroom polo.
and he don't know...
That I dug my key into the side
of his pretty little suped-up 4 wheel drive,
Carved my name into his leather seat...
I took a Louisville slugger to both head lights,
Slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.
If you're tellin me I'm not on fire
You're just preachin to the choir
I've gotten dull as old barbed wire from livin'
Last night I watched the evening news
It was the same ol nothin new
It should have cut me right in two
But it didnt I dont know why it didnt
But I wanna feel somethin
Somethin thats a real somethin That moves me,
that proves to me Im still alive
I wanna heart that beats and bleeds
A heart thats bustin at the seams
I wanna care, I wanna cry,
I wanna scream I just wanna feel somethin
[I Wanna Feel Something]

9 comments:

T said...

My COUNTRY Lovin' husband! :) Bet you'd NEVER expect it from him! :) He's quiet the cow hand and if he had a tractor--yes, I'd think it was sexy! :)

shakedust said...

I didn't notice the breaks between the songs at first.

It actually bothers me a little that I recognize half of those songs. :)

Achtung BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Achtung BB said...

Where are the lyrics to "She Thinks My Tractor is Sexy"? That has got to be one of the greatest lyrics in western civilation. How about "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy"? That's country.

f o r r e s t said...

funny!

I think I recognize the "let freedom reign" song form the Bill o'reily radio show.

f o r r e s t said...

Sorry,
Let freedom RING.

Portland wawa said...

They play that Carrie Underwood song on my christian radio station too. I bet you don't know this, but for a couple of years, I was into country music too. Back in my last few years as a waitress before starting college, I worked at Lonestar Steakhouse. They play country music 24/7 and I worked over 40 hours a week listening to it. We also had to learn how to linedance for the customers. We had to come in on Saturdays to learn the Watermelon Crawl, etc...

So, I started to listen to country music, especially Garth Brooks, way before he sold out. And after I started college when I went astray for a while from the Lord, I went out to lots of country bars and went two-stepping with lots of cowboys. Coyotes was a favorite haunt of mine the summer before I met BB.

I would say, from my experimence, that country music can be very spiritual and uplifting or the complete opposite, full of depression and debauchery. We used to joke that a country song isn't true to its roots if someone doesn't get dumped by his girl, get out of the slammer, get his truck wrecked while drunk or lose his dog.

GoldenSunrise said...

Crack me up! Yeah, I agree with Wah-Wah that country can either be inspirational or crude.

roamingwriter said...

it troubles me - is country music a disease that can be caught? You live there so it gets on you?